The Monarch Route
See you in a bit
5 days! February 28th - March 4th
Follow one of the most incredible migrations in the world deep into the picturesque mountains of central Mexico. Millions of Monarch butterflies migrate up to 3,000 miles each year from the Northeast & Midwest of the United States to their winter abode nestled in the lofty mountains of Central Mexico. This tour will take travelers from the bustling, beautiful city of Morelia to the remote villages and breathtaking experiences within the Realm of the Monarchs.
"The Butterfly Counts not months but moments, and has time enough."
increases the quality
of man's life,
providing inspiration both
artistic and spiritual. As well
as well as opportunities
intellectual and recreational.
When an organism passes
through a life cycle
its role in the ecosystem
it also changes.
"We must remain as close to the flowers, the grass, and the butterflies as the child is who is not yet so much taller than they are"
- 3 Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve Visits
- Naturally occuring hotsprings to unwind & decompress during the trip.
- Incredible food prepared by regional experts
- Mountain Hiking
- Local, bilingual guides
- Meet Artisans and explore traditional art techniques.
- Travel by horseback and on foot to remote forest groves to find the majestic monarchs.
- Dive into open-air markets in the Realm of the Monarchs
- Private transport to enjoy the ride in style
- Plenty of free time to explore on your own
- Duration: 5 Days
- Arrival/Departure City: Morelia
- Group size: Max 12
- Age Requirements: 18+ any traveler under 18 is required to be accompanied by a parent/guardian
- Transportation: Private vehicle, walking, Horseback Riding
- Accommodation: Morelia – 1 Night
- Los Azufres – 1 Night
- Angangueo – 1 Night
- Tuxantla – 1 Night
- Guides: Two full-time, bilingual, local guides will facilitate the trip and ensure travelers have a blast; additional naturalist guides as-needed.
- Meals: ALL INCLUSIVE. Vegetarian options are available.
The Monarch Route
5 Days - $1450
- ALL INCLUSIVE
- HOTEL & ALL MEALS
- THE ROUTE OF THE MONARCH TOUR
- ALL TRANSPORTATION
- BILINGUAL GUIDES
Discover The Magic
Learn the magic of the surrounding forest where the butterfly arrives that only natives are familiar with. Echeri focuses on ensuring that groups tread lightly, leaving a minimal ecological footprint while providing the maximum financial impact to local Mexican Communities.
Get Off the Beaten Path
Echeri wants travelers to see the real Mexico - a beautiful, rugged, profound place filled with more adventure than you could ever live out. Let's go to the places only locals know. Let's visit little-known hideouts and paths that will open your mind into what being a local is all about.
The Best of Both Worlds
Echeri has the unique advantage of having an American and Native Mexican guide on every tour. This means travelers will have the cultural context & native English fluency paired with the expert knowledge of locals.This expertise allows travelers to get into the places only locals are familiar with, and have a deep understanding as provided by a native English speaker.
Mexico is full of magic and amazing nature.
The migration of the monarch is a breathtaking experience in the highlands of Mexico. Still a very mysterious journey, Millions of Monarchs arrive right around Dia de Los Muertos Each year. They hibernate throughout the winter, but as temperatures begin to rise in February & March–they begin to wake up, mate & prepare for their journey north. The Monarch route experience will take you within the powerful mountains of Central Mexico. Join us for a once-in-a-lifetime experience in the reserva de la biosfera region for a five-day adventure that will take you from mountaintops to bustling markets, traditional Mexican kitchens to trees covered in Butterflies and more. Epic mountain landscapes, vibrant colors and decadent flavors will leave any traveler with a refreshed understanding of Mexico and why the butterfly migrate there.
- All Meals – Excluding Alcoholic Beverages
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Hotel accomodations throughout tour
- Admissions to All Monarch Biosphere Sites
- Admissions into the Hot Springs
- Orientation walk and market visit
- Guided walking tours, as applicable
- Naturalist Guides at Monarch Biosphere Sites
- Travel Style: Both structured events & unstructured free-time each day allows travelers to have their own experience and make memories with the group.
- Physical Requirements: Moderate. High-altitude hiking is included in this itinerary, travelers should be ready to spend time outdoors in an alpine environment.
- Age Requirement: 18+; all participants must be at least 18. Exceptions can be made for immediate families travelling as a group.
- Accommodation Style: Highly supported. The hotel & transportation are ample and will not be a cause for stress during the trip.
- Trip Type: Small group; maximum 15 travelers.
- What to bring? We recommend using a backpack for your convenience, or a medium-sized suitcase if you prefer. A daypack is also essential for carrying everyday items. Space is limited on transportation, so there is a limit of one large piece of luggage per person. You will be responsible for carrying your own luggage. View our full packing list on the Tour Details Page.
- What about safety? Central Mexico & Morelia are extremely safe. Our group will have the insights of local guides & decades of regional experience to ensure that the group has a phenomenal time in a safe environment.
- How can I start the process of getting my Passport? You can submit a passport application with any two forms of ID at (nearly) any Post Office. If you have other questions about moving through this process please contact us directly.
- How much spending money should I bring? Every traveler is different and therefore spending money requirements will vary. Some travelers may drink more than others while other travelers like to purchase more souvenirs than most. Please consider your own spending habits when it comes to allowing for drinks, shopping and tipping. Please also remember the following specific recommendations when planning your trip. We typically recommend $200 in spending money to cover expenses throughout the trip.
- Where can I find out more? More information on the nitty-gritty can be found on our Full Details page.
- Travel Insurance: Travel insurance is compulsory in order to participate on any of our trips. When travelling on a group trip, you will not be permitted to join the group until evidence of travel insurance has been sighted by your Trip Leader, who will take note of your insurance details. When selecting a travel insurance policy please bear in mind that all clients must have medical coverage and that we require a minimum coverage of USD 200,000 for repatriation and emergency rescue. We strongly recommend that the policy also covers personal liability, cancellation, curtailment and loss of luggage and personal effects. If you have credit card insurance we require proof of purchase of the trip (a receipt of credit card statement) with a credit card in your name. Contact your bank for details of their participating insurer, the level of coverage and emergency contact telephone number.
- A Couple of Rules: Illegal drugs will not be tolerated on any trips. Possessing or using drugs not only contravenes the laws of the land but also puts the rest of the group at risk. Smoking marijuana and opium is a part of local culture in some parts of the world but is not acceptable for our travelers. Our philosophy of travel is one of respect towards everyone we encounter, and in particular the local people who make the world the special place it is.
- Full Payment: Complete payment must be received 30 days in advance of the start of the tour.
All tours require a 75-day cancellation notice for a full refund*
- Cancellations received 45 days (or more) of departure will incur a penalty of 15% of total trip cost per person.
- Cancellations received within 30 days of departure will incur a penalty of 25% of total trip cost per person.
- Cancellations received within 15 days of departure will incur a penalty of 50% of total trip cost per person.
- Cancellations received within 7 days of departure will incur a penalty of 100% of total trip cost per person.
- Unused features are non-refundable. No shows forfeit entire payment.
- Trips require a minimum number of participants to avoid cancellation. We reserve the right to cancel a scheduled trip to fully refund affected customers although tour guides will make every effort to maintain the scheduled operations.
- There is 5% handling fee add-on to the above penalties.
Customers requesting a refund are required to mail their formal requests with a detailed explanation to:
Your refund request will be answered and processed promptly. If you do not receive the reply within one business day, please call immediately. We will not be responsible if email, mail or fax fail to reach us.
NOTE: We cannot grant refunds more than 30 days after completion of tour.
Echeri was created in 2010 to be a part of the restoration & empowerment of the Pueblos Originarios (native peoples) and people of color in Central Mexico—focusing on children, teenagers & young families through modern methodologies such as the scientific method, artistic & cultural investigation of ancestral practices, uses & customs including fair trade, natural medicine and handmade goods.
Our final goal is to create a world where equity & economic development of the Pueblos Originarios and people of color will be a generator of wellbeing with a motor that is fueled by women and Young people.
You can support & grow with us by joining us for one of our experiential learning trips or workshops—we provide trips focused on cultural immersion, sustainability & environmental restoration, & adventure travel. If you’re looking for a way to help us, but aren’t sure if a trip is right for you—check out the Echeri Fair Trade Store to find beautiful handmade goods. Any purchase from the Echeri Fair Trade Store directly supports an artesan in Michoacan.